Midi Music Festival 2009
From Music-China Wiki
Location: The 1st May Holidays, Midi Festival goes to Zhenjiang!
Date: 1st - 3rd May 2009
Organizer: Beijing Midi School of Music
Festival Series: Midi Music Festival
The festival in 2009 was first rumoured on March 6th to move from Beijing to Shanghai, only to have announced a further festival in Zhenjiang on March 18th, which a few days later confirmed as the only happening festival of Midi in South China, as the original planned Shanghai one fails to receive a permit.
With the 10th anniversary of China’s exciting and authentic rock festival, this year’s Midi Festival will move to south Chinese twon Zhenjiang (镇江), on invitation of the city council.
Together with Zhenjiang Public Office, Zhenjiang Culture Ministry and Zhenjiang Art Theatre, the Midi Festival 2009 will be held between 1st till 3rd May on the Yiushan Meidi Lvdi Square (优山美地绿地广场).
There will be 2 stages, the rock stage and the Yan electro stage, filled with live music each festival day from 2pm to midnight. The main theme of the festival of course will be the 10th anniversary of Midi Festival, 18 Chinese Bands, old and newer friends to Midi, such as Again, Miserable Faith, Thin Man, Yaska, Muma, Honey Gun, Spring & Autumn, Reflector, Subs, Cold Fairytales, LR etc, plus 12 oversea bands will be there to celebrate such a milestone event in China’s long way in modern music, even godfather of chinese rock, Mr. Cui Jian will attend the stage there, too!
According to that, back in Beijing, rockfans can also get a chance to see some of the festival bands in a indoor concert in Star Live, organized in cooperation with TNT-Productions (the force behind Canadian Transmission Festival) and Painkiller Magazine. “2009 Midi Night” will take place in Star Live between 30th March and 3rd May, don’t miss if you can‘t go to Zhenjian!
Tel: 400-810-3721, 010-58601088 (English: 010-64177845) For Tickets please visit the chinese ticket sales platform www.piao.com.cn or ask for information via phone: 400-810-3721, 010-58601088 (English: 010-64177845)
Impressions of the Midi 2009 festival
Check out the Midi 2009 Photos and impressions of previous Midi festivals. Dive into the concerts before and lighten up the spirit of Midi...
Reactions to Midi 2009 - 10th Anniversary
I have in mind, that the Midi Music Festival is a festival of young people, it has lots of fresh culture which lets those young people coming to Midi become very happy. More importantly, Midi promotes new music and the development of a new culture. It is a good platform, on which this cultural phenomena can be displayed to the general pulic, so that everyone can see that this society has also a high number of young people with many ideas. - Hu Song (vocals of Yaksa), translated
Midi is China's Utopian Festival - Li Hongjie, music critic
Midi is wonderful and there should be more events like it in China. Even though China has a Rock history of some 20 years and Midi has 10 years of history, but this is just the beginning. This is the stuff of youthful dreams and we should be supporting it all we can. - Zhao Nian, drummer of Tang Dynasty
Every time I attend Midi I get a sense of pleasure and satisfaction out of it, one might even say pride. I might not actually have all that much input into Midi, but I’ve been there from the start, but I am a ceaseless promoter of the festival, especially to foreigners I meet. I feel so proud of it that I just can’t help myself. It is simply my wish that more and more people get to enjoy Midi and that it grows from strength to strength! - Hao Fang, music critic
|Time||May 1st||May 2nd||May 3rd|
|2：00 —— 2:30||Tookoo||Yuguo (羽果)||LR (左右)|
|2：30 —— 2:50||---||---||---|
|2：50 —— 3:20||Honey Gun (糖果枪)||Hollerado (Canada)||Bonk (Norway)|
|3：20 —— 3:40||---||---||---|
|3：40 —— 4:10||Sand (沙子)||Spring Autumn (春秋)||Reflector (反光镜)|
|4：10 —— 4:30||---||---||---|
|4：30 —— 5:00||Turdus Musicus (Norway)||CMCB||Jets Overhead (Canada)|
|5：00 —— 5:20||---||---||---|
|5：20 —— 5:50||Twisted Machine (扭曲机器)||The Verse||Cold Fairyland (冷酷仙境)|
|5：50 —— 6:10||---||---||---|
|6：10 —— 6:50||Again (轮回)||Subs||So Called (Canada)|
|6：50 —— 7:10||---||---||---|
|7：10 —— 7:50||MIKE TV (UK)||Gammalux (Germany)||Yaksa (夜叉)|
|7：50 —— 8:10||---||---||---|
|8：10 —— 8:50||Thin Man (瘦人)||Happy Avenue 幸福大街||Muma (木玛 & THIRD PARTY )|
|8：50 —— 9:10||---||---||---|
|9：10 —— 9:50||Army Of Freshmen (USA)||El Columpio Asesino (Spain)||BlindSight (Netherlands)|
|9：50 —— 10:20||---||---||---|
|10:20 —— 11:00||Cui Jian (崔健)||AK 47||Miserable Faith (痛仰)|
Yen Electronic Music Stage
2009 迷笛音乐节（镇江站） “焱”电子舞曲舞台演出时间表
|5月1日 May 1st||5月2日 May 2nd||5月3日 May 3rd|
|DJ Sky Zhang （Chongqing） 重庆||DJ Ivy V （Shanghai） 上海||DJ Cody K (Hongkong) 香港|
|DJ Bob Chen （Ningbo） 宁波||DJ Jerry K (Guangzhou) 广州||DJ Jerryson （Shanghai） 上海|
|DJ Gary （Guangzhou）广州||DJ Fish （Shanghai） 上海||DJ Eagle （Ningbo） 宁波|
|DJ Harry （Chengdu） 成都||DJ Tootekool （Germany） 德国||DJ Baru (Japan) 日本|
|DJ Xeum （France） 法国||DJ Mickey Zhang （Beijing） 北京||DJ Ben Huang （Shanghai） 上海|
|DJ @llen （Taiwan) 台湾||--||DJ Dio （Beijing） 北京|
Participating Artists (Main Stage only)
Participating Overseas Artists
Location & Directions
Located in Zhenjiang, here are the respective directions...
Some of the Midi Bands will make a stop in Beijing and rock the stages in Starlive: 2009 Beijing Midi Night
Other specific festival pages
In the press
- Midi Modern Music Festival to leave Beijing, CRI March 18, 2009
- Where the F@ck is Zhenjiang?, Cityweekend Shanghai, Mar 19th 2009 12:41a.m. by danielshap
- Norwegian power rock to China, Norway embassy in China, 12/03/2009
- see also an article about festival in May 2009 by Dan Sapiro
Photos & Videos
- All photos of Midi 2009
- Video of Gammalux at Midi 2009, 50min, the complete performance of Gammalux
- 2009 迷笛音乐节 第三天 冷酷仙境 完整视频, 40min, the complete performance of Cold Fairyland
- 2009 迷笛音乐节 第三天 木玛 完整视频, 56min, the complete performance of Muma
- 2009 迷笛音乐节 第三天 痛仰 反场两次, 50min, the complete performace of Miserable Faith
- 2009 迷笛音乐节 第三天 BLIND SIGHT 完整视频, 37min, complete performance of Blindsight
- 2009 迷笛音乐节 第三天 夜叉 完整视频, 28min, complete performance of Yaksa
- Tookoo at the Midi 2009 Festival, 10min
- Sand at the Midi 2009 Festival, 36min, complete performance
- Honeygun at the Midi 2009 Festival, 42min, complete performance
- Twisted Machine at the Midi 2009 Festival, 36min, complete performance
- Spring Autumn at the Midi 2009 Festival, 38min, complete performance
- ↑ Jake Newby (2009-03-06). "Midi Festival Coming to Shanghai". Retrieved on 2009-04-12.
- ↑ Xiaoxia Zhuang (2009-03-18). "New Midi Festival location: Zhenjiang, two hours away from Shanghai (UPDATED)". Retrieved on 2009-04-12.
- ↑ Jake Newby (2009-03-24). "Midi School: There will be a Shanghai festival". Retrieved on 2009-04-12.
- ↑ Andy Best (2009-03-25). "Midi rumours: if you can't beat 'em ...". Retrieved on 2009-04-12.
- ↑ www.sina.com.cn (2009-04-14). "夜叉胡松：迷笛推动了新音乐和新文化的发展". Retrieved on 2009-04-27.
- ↑ www.sina.com.cn (2009-04-14). "颜峻：我们都是迷笛音乐节". Retrieved on 2009-04-27.
- ↑ Midi Festival (Edited and translated by eChinacities.com staff) (2009-04-23). "Music Critic Li Hongjie: Midi is China's Utopian Festival". Retrieved on 2009-04-29.
- ↑ Midi Festival (Edited and translated by eChinacities.com staff) (2009-04-22). "Tang Dynasty Drummer Zhao Nian: A Ten Year Midi Vet". Retrieved on 2009-04-29.
- ↑ Midi Festival (Edited and translated by eChinacities.com staff) (2009-04-23). "Music Critic Hao Fang: Midi could be even more fun". Retrieved on 2009-04-29.
|Midi Music Festival - 2000 up to today|
|Main Articles:||Midi School | History of the Midi Music Festival|
|Midi Awards:||2010 | 2009|
|Festivals:||2013 (BJ) & 2013 (SH) & 2013 (SZ) | 2012 (SH) & 2012 (BJ) | 2011 (BJ), 2011 (SH) & Ocean 2011 | 2010 (BJ) & 2010 (ZJ) | 2009 | 2008 (Oct) | 2008 (Back To Utopia) | 2008 (May) | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000|
|Beijing:||2009 Fun Fair Festival | DiTan Park Music Festival 2009 | Intro 2009 – Beijing Electronic Music Festival | Midi Music Festival 2009 | Ninegates Jazz Festival 2009 | Sally Can’t Dance Festival 2009 | Strawberry Music Festival 2009 | JUE MUSIC ART Festival 2009 | Modern Sky Festival 2009|
|Chengdu:||Zebra Music Festival 2009|
|Hangzhou:||West Lake Music Festival 2009|
|Qingdao:||Golden Beach Festival 2009|
|Shanghai:||JZ Shanghai Music Festival 2009|
|Shenyang:||German Esplanade Shenyang 2009|
|Zhangbei:||InMusic Festival 2009|